Tuesday, June 23, 2009

for Father's Day

For my Father -
A mountain of a man with this thunderous baritone voice, a smile that warms the soul and a laugh that was completely contagious. A heart big enough for everyone.... even down to the last stray cat, but a temper you didn't want to cross. Eyes - a clear blue that twinkled when he was happy .... or turned thunderstorm grey when melancholy.
hands....so strong and steady - even to the end.
He always had great stories to tell...
One of his favorites was about the day I was born. He would talk about looking at me through the thick glass of the nursery window and that I was crying so hard I was turning purple. The glass was so thick, he couldn't Hear me wailing, but could certainly see it. Whispering to me through the glass - he said" Its okay, hush now, stop crying... Daddy's here and everything is okay." He said, at that very instant - I looked directly at him - held his gaze - and stopped crying. Ever since that moment we have had an unbreakable closeness.
I think every girl believes their father to be immortal: always there with warm, reassuring hugs, and strong heroic hands, to save the day. Even as adults we take their presence for granted. Never in a million years can we imagine our super hero falling victim to mortality.
On December 25th, 2006 - my father passed away. Christmas Day, sitting around the table with my husband, my in-laws, and my kids ... at 6:12 in the evening - I FELT him leave this world. At the time I wasn't sure what the feeling was. I just knew I suddenly felt empty.
I laid him to rest in the Garden of Love, while planes constantly fly over head. He always had a deep Passion for avionics - Starting as a child, helping his father fixing planes... through the Air Force... and on through his life when he still retained his pilot licence like he did his drivers licence.
For you, Daddy - on Father's Day... I think of you Free of you mortal body and running to Heaven's Gate where mother was waiting for you. I think of you seeing your parents again and meeting Heavenly Father face to face. I think of the happiness you must feel to be completely free of pain. I miss you so much; your insight, thoughts, opinions, and those wonderful hugs - but I will see you again.
I thank God for the time we had and the strong bond forged the day I was born. You have always been a major influence in my life and you have taught me well. Thank you so much, Daddy - not every girl is so lucky.
for now... Know that I love you and that I think of you everyday! May the love I send, reach you on the summer breeze.

2 comments:

  1. you sure are a daddys girl......lov you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Amanda, thanks for sharing this vision of your father, what a wonderful sentiment to him!

    ReplyDelete